A first market was built during the Revolution in the heart of the Chartrons quarter, on the grounds of the former Carmelite Convent. In the 19th century a stone pavilion was erected, with cellars underneath. In 1869, the City’s architect Charles Burguet (1821-1879), creator of the Marché des Grands-Hommes and Marché de Lerme covered markets, was assigned the task of creating a central market hall. He designed a small steel-structured building, equipped with eighteen round-arched windows opening onto the exterior, which he then covered with a steel corona during a second phase of construction. Restored in 1998, this market hall, combining stone, iron and glass, provides an ideal setting for numerous cultural events: concerts and exhibitions.